My go-to apple pie recipe made with fresh apples! Homemade, flaky crust with juicy apple filling. Makes a delicious pie that goes perfectly with ice cream!
- About 5 cups thinly sliced apples (peeled and cored), 8-10 medium apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Double pie crust
- 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water
- granulated or chubby sparkling sugar, optional
- In a medium bowl add the sliced apples. Sprinkle with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt and toss gently to combine well.
- Roll out and place an uncooked pie crust in the bottom of a deep 9-inch pie plate.
- Place the apple mixture in the uncooked pie shell. Place the small pieces of butter on top of apple mixture.
- Top with second pie crust, crimp the edges, and then cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to vent.
- Mix the egg white and 1 tablespoon of water together in a small bowl and then brush the top with water and sprinkle with sugar before baking.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for the first 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. and continue cooking for an additional 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- If the edge of the crust starts to brown more quickly than the center, carefully cover the edge with foil for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving. Can be made ahead of time and served at room temperature.
- Here's a post about how to cut apples if you need it. If you peel them first and then cut them this way, it's the fastest way to get your apples prepped. You'll want to cut these apples about 1/4 inch thick.
- Want to make a pretty lattice pie crust? Here's how to do that!
- Try to find a firm apple to use in this recipe. I like a mix between a sweet and sour apple. You can use Granny Smith, Jonathan, Jonagold, Winesap, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Gala, or Rome Beauty. I used Golden Delicious from our trees for this pie and it was great.
- In the world of pies, this one has a very low amount of added sugar. If you are using tart apples you might need to double the amount of sugar. Just taste and see. Feel free to add up to 1/3 cup of sugar to this recipe.
- You can use apple pie spice in place of the cinnamon if you'd like.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Thanksgiving recipe, Thanksgiving dessert recipe, apple dessert, apple pie recipe, easy pie crust recipe, how to make apple pie, apple pie from fresh apples, homemade apple pie