This easy Homemade Cherry Pie recipe has a flaky crust filled with the most delicious cherry pie filling. It’s perfect for the holidays or a summertime dessert!
- 2 cans red tart pitted cherries, about 15 ounces each
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Double pie crust
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup of the liquid.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in small, heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in reserved cherry liquid until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes until thick and clear. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and cherries.
- Roll out the pie crust, and place it in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate (it doesn’t have to be a deep one, but it won’t hurt if it is). Pour the cherries into prepared crust. Cover with vented or lattice top.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350 degrees F., and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- You can add a drop or two of red food coloring if you’d like to make the cherries more red, but I think the natural cherry color is lovely on its own.
- I have also made this pie using frozen tart cherries and frozen sweet cherries. To make with frozen tart cherries, just use water instead of the reserved liquid from the can, and make according to the directions. To make with frozen sweet cherries, use water instead of the reserved liquid, 1/2 the sugar, and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the water when you add it. Easy!
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cherry pie recipe, homemade cherry pie, frozen cherry pie, canned cherry pie, easy cherry pie, sweet cherry pie, sour cherry pie