Valentine’s Day is just around the bend! I’ve been thinking a lot about the holiday and fun ways to celebrate. Things in my life revolve heavily around my children. It isn’t always consciously – having 3 little ones 4 years old and younger is naturally time consuming. When I’m not playing with them or feeding them, I’m cleaning up our messes from playing and feeding them. It seems to be a never-ending cycle!
When I am not doing something with or for my kids, I’m working on my house; remodeling is also no small chore. There is a strange mental burden that comes with remodeling; every free minute is spent on the project. Just thinking about spending time watching a movie or playing a game makes me feel guilty! Children come first, remodeling second.
Now where does my husband fit into this equation? Well he gets fed with the kids and we spend time together remodeling…it’s easy to feel like that is all I have time for.
To send a little extra love and care to my husband this Valentine’s season,I’ve decided to shower him with love via a 14-day countdown to Valentine’s day. I’m so excited!
Here are some of the ideas I’ve had.
Gifts and Tokens:
- Car wash tokens or washing the truck myself
- Truck detail – a deep clean inside, complete with window washing
- Love Coupons – I thought these were cute and easy
- Heart Attack his truck while he’s at work
- Making his favorite foods – chicken pot pie, cream puffs, cheese ball
- Old-fashioned love note or poem
- List of “Reasons I Love You”
- Frame current family picture for his desk
- Make a treat for him to take and share with his whole office
- Surprise him by bringing lunch to him at work – extra points for finding a babysitter and leaving the babies at home!
- Check something off his to-do list – that nagging errand that just isn’t getting done
- Let him dream his dreams- having someone listen to your big life plans is so fun, but also doesn’t happen very often. I’m going to warn him the morning before so that he’ll have some time to think. Then after the kids are in bed I’m going to just let him talk about what he wants the future to hold.
- Read his Patriarchal Blessing out loud to him and then tell him how he is living up to it and what he is doing well. Isn’t that cute! My sister told me that when she is having a hard time with something or struggling with self doubt that her husband will do this for her, and vice versa. I love the idea and can’t wait to do it!
- Read Moroni 7:45 together.
“And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.”
Discuss the characteristics he has. Give specific examples!
- Pray out loud for him. There is something so kind about this; there is nothing like sincere prayer. All month I’m going to thoughtfully thank my Father in Heaven for specific things he has done for me and the family. I’ll also pray for things that I think he needs. Now I do this already – we pray every night together – but I’m going to be more thoughtful and aware of him in my prayers.
What do you think? What you are doing this year for your special someone? What should my big Day 14 be? What can I add to my lists? I’d love to hear what you all think! One Pretty Life had a super cute post, it’s where the idea comes from! She is doing a countdown with dates! Check it out here!