This one, easy cookie dough recipe makes four different kinds of Christmas cookies! The holidays just aren’t complete without a few (or more) cookies.
For the Base Recipe:
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
For the Chocolate Chip and M&M’s Cookies:
- 1 cup holiday colored M&M’s
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Orange Cranberry Cookies:
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups craisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- Candied orange zest
For the Chocolate Mint Cookies:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups Andes mint bits + more for drizzling
For the Double Chocolate Macadamia:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat to incorporate. Add the baking soda, salt, and flour and mix until everything comes together.
- Scoop a rounded tablespoon of dough onto a parchment or baking mat lined sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Chocolate Chip and M&M’s: Add 1 cup holiday colored M&M’s and 1 cup chocolate chips before baking.
- Orange Cranberry: Add 1/2 teaspoon orange extract when you add the vanilla. Add 1 1/2 cups craisins (sweetened dried cranberries) to the dough and stir well to combine. Bake as directed. When the cookies cool, top with simple glaze (1 cup powdered sugar and 1-3 tablespoons milk or cream) and candied orange zest.
- Chocolate Mint: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder (when you add the flour) and stir in 1 1/2 cups Andes mints bits. After baking drizzle with melted Andes mints.
- Double Chocolate Macadamia: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder (when you add the flour) and stir in 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
Please note that each of these variations are for a full batch of dough. If you want to make multiple variations, divide one batch of dough in two, and use half the add-ins for two of the variations.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Christmas cookies, easy cookie recipes, Christmas Desserts, holiday desserts