It’s been so quiet around here lately!
I thought we should end the work week with a delicious recipe and then I have some explaining to do come Monday.
This recipe is one that I shared a year or so ago on another blog, but I thought it was high time it made an appearance here.
Easy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Pie is kind of a cross between a quiche (very eggy) and a strata (very bready). My family loved it! You can’t go wrong with eggs, ham, and cheese all piled into one dish. Plus it’s super easy.
We aren’t a big breakfast for dinner kind of family unless lots of eggs are involved. This breakfast pie is just perfect for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
- 1 T. butter, softened
- 3 T. finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounce thickly sliced deli ham, chopped
- 4 green onions, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Adjust the rack in your oven to a low position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with the soften butter. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the butter evenly so that it coats the pie plate evenly.
- In a medium bowl add the cheese, ham, and green onions and stir to combine. Sprinkle the cheese mixture evenly over the bottom of the pie plate.
- In that same bowl, that is now empty, add the flour, baking powder, pepper, and salt. Whisk to combine the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the half-and-half, eggs, and mustard. Whisk to combine the wet and dry ingredient. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour the flour and egg mixture over the cheese, ham, and onions in the pie plate.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the filling is set (no giggle to it) and the top is light golden brown. Let it cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. Slice into wedges and serve warm.
- Half-and-half adds a lot of richness and flavor to the pie and I don't think substituting milk would work nearly as well. Don't be nervous about adding the mustard. It adds a nice little kick but no one will be able to tell just where that kick came from. An 8-inch square baking dish can be used instead of a pie plate
Enjoy and have a great weekend!
If you like this Easy Ham and Cheese Breakfast Pie recipe then you might also like these:
Easy Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
Potato and Bacon Frittata from Barbara Bakes
Baked Eggs with Tomato and Spinach from One Lovely Life